Whether you choose to spend summer months relaxing in the backyard, traveling to your favorite destinations or a combination of the two, there are steps you can take to ensure protection at home. Some of these may seem like common sense, but it’s easy to let safety and security slide in the midst of fun summer activities. Below are summer tips from one of our partners, AIG.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column][vc_separator type=”normal”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row css_animation=”” row_type=”row” use_row_as_full_screen_section=”no” type=”full_width” angled_section=”no” text_align=”left” background_image_as_pattern=”without_pattern”][vc_column][vc_column_text]
- Restrict access to pool areas with a gate or doors that automatically lock.
- Equip pool door/gate with an alarm or sensors at the pool.
- Consider a rolling pool cover, which can provide even more protection than a gate or fence.
- If you are entertaining at your pool or on a lake, hire a lifeguard.
- Elaborate pool areas with rock formations and slides can enhance the risk for injury. Be sure areas are properly secured or restricted when needed.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row css_animation=”” row_type=”row” use_row_as_full_screen_section=”no” type=”full_width” angled_section=”no” text_align=”left” background_image_as_pattern=”without_pattern”][vc_column][vc_separator type=”normal”][vc_column_text]
- Wait until you return from vacation to post on social media about leaving town.
- Have a friend or neighbor to check on your home while you’re away.
- Call the post office to have mail delivery stopped while you are away and put a pause on newspaper deliveries so they are not piling up in your driveway.
- Put lights on timers to give the impression that someone is home.
- If your grill or outdoor kitchen is near your home or on a deck/porch attached to your home, it should be equipped with an automatic shutoff device. These devices have a timer installed in the gas supply line that automatically shuts off the gas supply after a predetermined length of time.
- Never use chimineas or fire pits on decks, gazebos, covered patios or anywhere there are overhangs. They should be located at least 15 feet away from any structure.
General Home Maintenance
- Check for lingering winter damage when cleaning gutters and roofs and removing debris.
- Make sure trees on your property are healthy and trimmed to avoid damage during hurricane season and high winds..
- Remove all dead materials from trees/bushes/landscaping to eliminate fuels in the event of a wildfire, and keep grass areas short.
Mills & Mills Insurance Agency is based in charming Wilton, serving Ridgefield, Weston, Easton, and New Canaan. We also serve the rest of Fairfield County, Westchester County, the Hamptons and Long Island.
Here at Mills and Mills, we want to help keep you, your family and your assets safe. Give us a call today at (203)-762-8373.